Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Unhappy Sick Catfish

I've got a sick Gold Sucking Catfish in my 25 litre tropical setup that houses my mollie fry.

I only just noticed he's sick today, he's always so active.

my ph is 7, and my ammonia has just gone up due to the birth of more fry, but noone else seems sick

he's just lying on the gravel and hardly moving. his colour seems to have changes from a bright yellow to a darker orange/ brown colour. he is "breathing slowly"

any suggestions?

thanks.

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish
Old ,

Default Re: Sick Catfish

See if you can get the real name of the catfish as I have never heard of a Gold Sucking Catfish. What is the ammonia reading? How long have you had the cat fish and how big is it? For now I would do a 10% water change. Do not medicate. Any more info you might think of would be helpful.
Old ,

well, i got home and he's passed on. i looked at him and he had a black stomach so I guess was ammonia poisoning...

looked him up. turns out he is
Gyrinocheilus Aymoniery Gold
i think that's a link to a photo.

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish
Old ,

I have never heard of a black stomach being a symptom of ammonia poisoning. I would like to hear more about it for my information. What is the ammonia level anyway? BTW, that was a cool looking fish.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that silent_rock_faery I also don't think the black stomach was from ammonia poisoning, they can turn a more orange colour when older I believe. If the fry were just born, they wouldn't have affected the ammonia levels to any degree. Other possibilities could have been from improper diet or lack of food, fungal or bacteria infection from the gravel...perhaps he even swallowed some of the fry that were hiding in the gravel (just a silly thought).

Dano! I think Gyrinocheilus Aymoniery are a type of albino sucking catfish from the chinese algae eater family. They seem to be very popular in Aust. and seem to be in nearly all LFS' here. They are nice looking, but can be very aggressive when a bit older.
Old ,

yeah, he was a cool fish, i called him Goldie.

I work in a pet shop and my boss told me to examine fish whenever they die as a blackened stomach can indicate ammonia poisoning.

I almost dont want to tell you this because of the state it's in now but the ammonia is at 2.0. i'm treating with ammo lock and doing 20% water changes every second day. i think it's because my tank is overstocked with the new fry.

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish