Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

View Poll Results: Do you think cross breeding fish wrong?
Yes 7 33.33%
No 15 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Default Is cross breeding wrong?

Do you think that the deliberate or accedental hybridization of two different species of fish is wrong?
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Default Re: Is cross breeding wrong?

First, tell me what is wrong with cross breeding, hybridization, out breeding, selective breeding; whether it is intentional or accidental? The "Allmighty" does it all the time. There are those that believe that the diversity of life occurred because of it...........................

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

The reason I posted this was because I came across a video on youtube that showed a green severum spawing with a blue acara, and in the comments the owner said that if the eggs would have hatched he would have culled all of the fry.

I thought that this was weird because the fry would probably turn out looking cool and people would most likly buy them, as long as the owner told the lfs what the Hybrids parents were.
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Might want to change this to an anonymous poll to get more opinions from members. Some will be reluctant to vote on a controversial issue when their name goes up after they vote.

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

I know with rainbow fish it's a BIG no no. Were always trying to get pure strain. I think as long as people know that there not a pure breed it doesn't matter. But then again I question the breeding of fish because of the inbreeding that they do to keep the strain pure. I have diffrent kinds of bows in my tank that spawn with each other all the time. I don't however try to keep the eggs, as soon as someone spawns the rest of the bows eat the eggs & there are never any left that I know of.
4-Bosemani
4-Splendida sp
4-P ivantsoffi-blue eye
2-Lacustris
1-G multisquamatus
1-Parkensoni
2-Diamond 2-Sepae Tetra
1-Buenos Aires Tetra
1-Blue Tetra 3-Brissel Nose Pleco 2-Kamaka 2-Duboulayi 1-Chilatherian sentaniensis 2-Glossolepis 1-ramuensis 1-marci 4-Celebes 2-Parva 2-Dorityi 2-Bleheri 30-cherry shrimp & some snails
Old ,

IMO - It is wrong to cross breed. There are many facets to this that are never explored when doing so. The biggest being species dilution and environmental impact. Through cross-breeding we could ultimately cause the cessation of a species and I don't feel that man should make that determination.

What about impact on the indigenous fish if the cross got loose? Just one of many reasons as to why I am against it.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
The "Allmighty" does it all the time.

The “Almighty” may do it all the time…but personally, I do not think we should play “God” just because we can, unless it is for a beneficial/specific purpose, definitely not for a reason like making a fish prettier/more colourful.

I agree with Sue…and if it happens naturally in a tank, there is little we can do about it (unless we keep the species separated), but I do not think the fry should be sold to others. Hybrids that are sold to shops should be labelled as such and not passed off as pure breeds. These days you do not know what you may be getting.

I think that Skypilot brings up an excellent point… I personally do not think that crossbreeding happens all that often in nature, a species will usually prefer to breed within its own species unless different species are forced together because of loss of habitat etc. or a species is introduced unnaturally by man. I think nature knows what it is doing and our interference often has devastating consequences.

Another issue/concern about hybridization is the effect it may have on the actual fish. Many crossbred fish may be sterile and many can end up with deformities to the spine, swim bladder, eyes, mouth etc. I guess the most known and classic example of this is probably the Blood Parrot fish (which is also a dyed fish). To me this is inhumane and we should be ashamed!

Just my thoughts..Thanks!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

This could just be my imagination but this morning I noticed Knobbs (keyhole cichlid) digging a big hole in my gravel and my african butterfly cichlid was chasing all the other fish away and sticking close to Knobbs.

Could it be, the African butterfly cichlid usually stays in the very back but it seems more social now, same with Knobbs.
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Remarks: A. thomasi is a monotypic species, meaning that it is the only fish belonging to its genus. Different color variants are available, although the Liberian population may be a separate species. Wild-caught fish are more colorful than the common tank-bred fish.
The Keyhole is from South America and a different species.
  1. Order:PerciformesSuborder:CichlasomatinaeFamily:Ci chlidaeGenera:Cleithracara Species: maronii
I doubt that it will breed with the Keyhole, but who knows??

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

I was doing some research on keyholes breeding and Knobbs is making a pit instead of cleaning rocks.

This morning I noticed it again, but no eggs. They do look kinda similar.
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )