Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Noobie Fishless Cycling question (long sorry)

Hey all im new to the forum! My name is danny and i have a 29 Gallon freshwater tank running two aquaclear 70 filters

ive had my tank for roughly two years now, the tank was problem free until about last month.

i brought home some new additions to the tank and shortly after had a catastrophic loss. Everything died including my live plants. The fish had this white film over there eyes and body, there body looked like they had a bad sunburn and the white stuff was peeling.

i did a WC and let the tank sit for some time debating wether to take the tank down or start over.

anyways two days ago i tested the water and got ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 nitrate was roughly 20. i lost the PH card but when i tested it, it was a very dark color towards teh brown side, when its normal blueish

i bought 3 mollies and added them to the tank......i kid you not within two hours they had the same white stuff that killed the others.....dead

pissed off i decieded it must be something in the water, so i completely drained the tank, washed the gravel and decorations. (i flushed out the filter media using the old tank water as not to kill any bacteria)

i refilled the tank treated the water with tap water cond, stress coat, stress zyme. i decieded to do fishless cycling with household ammonia.

so my long winded question is that im constantly adding clear ammonia (like several capfulls)to the tank but cant get a reading on the ammonia test kit.
Nitrites are still 0 too. is it possible my tank is still cycled from before?
Old ,

Default Re: Noobie Fishless Cycling question (long sorry)

If I am reading this correctly and you rinsed your gravel and drained your tank, then no your tank is not cycled.

Dave
Old ,

what is the source of your water?
(I'm wondering if there is a contaminant in your water.)

Did you save all of the water from the original tank?
(I wouldn't recommend that as something is wrong there.)

I would start over.

Read up on fishless cycling; we have excellent resources on the home page.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

yea i drained the entire tank (syphon into sink) and rinsed the gravel.

i filled the tank with treated tap water as i always have.

i DID NOT rinse the filter media with tap water, i used the old tank water to clean it. in hopes of saving the bacteria and speeding up the cycling process.

does house hold ammonia go bad???? i mean i am pouring a good amount into the tank and im not getting anything over 0ppm on my API master test kit

im using "Americas Choice" clear ammonia ingredients on the bottle state deionized water + ammonia
Old ,

What kind of test kit are you using and how old is it?..................To see if your ammonia is good, put a cap full in 1 gallon of water then test it..........If you get no result then you can assume the test kit or the ammonia is faulty...................Ammonia should not go bad, but the brand of ammonia you are using could be very weak in solution.................Look at the contents on the label for the amount. Look at this on other brands................If you get another brand be sure it is not the sudsy kind that has detergent in it. A good brand of ammonia that knocks your head off when you sniff it should be good...............In any case, you may have to use a larger amount of the ammonia to produce ammonia readings..............It may take many cap fulls to get readings.

Rest assured that the tank is not cycled.............While you are trying to cycle this tank, you need to examine everything that may have caused the problems with the previous water.............You do not want to repeat it..........................Also check the ph of your tap water as acidic water affects ammonia.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

hey thanks for your help here guys

i found my API master kit color card for the PH right now my water is at 7.6 PH

the kit has a 06 date on it. they seem to be testing fine. like you said i took a look at my ammonia, i opened the cap and took a wiff. it smelled like ammonia but my guess it must have been watered down. its not the usual knock your socks off ammonia smell everyone is used too.

ill have to run to the store and pick up a fresh bottle.

im glad its something as simple as the ammonia cause i was starting to loose faith in this fishless cycling thing....but i couldnt bear to keep loosing fish to cycle it.

i think my red eared slider is behind it all LOL since he gets gourmet turtle food out of it.
Old ,

Please explain the red eared slider statement.............................
Old ,

Even though you saved the original filter media and used old filter water to rinse it, your new set-up is not cycled.

What kind of water treatment do you use to dechlor & remove the metals? Also, is your tap water from a municipal water source or well water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac0923 View Post
yea i drained the entire tank (syphon into sink) and rinsed the gravel.

i filled the tank with treated tap water as i always have.

i DID NOT rinse the filter media with tap water, i used the old tank water to clean it. in hopes of saving the bacteria and speeding up the cycling process.

does house hold ammonia go bad???? i mean i am pouring a good amount into the tank and im not getting anything over 0ppm on my API master test kit

im using "Americas Choice" clear ammonia ingredients on the bottle state deionized water + ammonia
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

i treat the municipal tap water with API tap water conditioner to remove chlorine and heavy metals

i also treat with API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme

the red eared slider is an aquatic turtle i keep in a seperate tank. when i have a loss in my tank, i give the dead fish to the turtle instead of being cruel and feeding them live feeder fish as a snack
Old ,

Thank you for the info on your turtle. Some people keep turtles, frogs, newts, ect in their community tanks. It is a bad practice that usually results in stressful conditions for fish in general.............I see no harm in feeding the discarded fish to the turtle as most fish diseases don't affect them.

Stress coat and Stress Zime have their uses as shown on the labels, but it is not good practice to use them in conjunction with what ever water conditioner you are using......................The idea in adding water to a tank is to have it as clean and pure as you can get it using only a good water conditioner to detoxify the chemicals the water supplier uses to kill harmful organisms before you drink it................The less junk you add to your make up water the better............................................ .....Keep us posted as to how your ammonia problems are progressing.