Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old ,

Default How much light does an aquarium need?

I just restarted my fish tank, and I started to wonder… how much light does my fish tank need? I only use the hood lights a few minutes a week, but the tank is placed in a room with large uncovered windows. Is that enough light? Should I put the hood lights on a timer, so they get some florescent light every day? I want to make sure my fish live a happy life! =)

In case this makes a difference, I have a 55 gallon tank, and I feed them each morning when the sun is out. (so there is plenty of light for them to see the food)

(I wiped out my last tank by using antibiotics in the tank. Completely forgot that antibiotics would kill off the nitrogen cycle bacteria)
Old ,

Default Re: How much light does an aquarium need?

Not sure how much they "need", but I leave my lights on normally from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

Scroll down to the topic "Lighting" and read thru the various posts there. There is a lot of good information there..............
Old ,
Super Moderator

Hi jchan

Lighting is really for our benefit so we can see the fish. Light does bring out the colour in a fish more though & a fishes colour will fade when the lights are off. It is necessary if you have live plants in a tank.

Most fish prefer subdued light as bright light hurts their eyes (they have very good eyesight) & if there is enough natural light coming from windows etc. you don't need to have the tank light on BUT bright or too much natural sunlight can cause the growth of algae.

If using a tank light, it is a good idea to have them on a timer (but not a necessity) it just makes it easier for us & also maintains a regular routine. Normally tank lights should only be on no more than 6-8 hrs a dy or 10-12 hrs for live plants, but the longer the light is on the more likely it is that you may get algae, if it is strong light.

Dano is right & there are other posts that have good info. on the subject.
Old ,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I'll keep the hood light off for now. I might use a timer when the winter months comes, but for now, I guess I have enough natrual light.

Thanks again!