Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old ,

Default Guppies...

I plan on keeping a small school of Harloquen Rasboras and Cardinal Tetras in a 38 gal tank. From what I've read these fish seem to prefer water with a ph of around 6.5

Can a guppie live with these fish? In temperment I know the answer is yes. But i've read that guppies prefer a ph of 8-8.5

Can they adjust to the softer water suitable for the aformentioned fish?
Old ,

Default Re: Guppies...

I think that Guppies could adjust to your Ph, although they do prefer Ph that is a little lower. If you decide to get Guppies, you will have LOTS of babies...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Guppies are some of the hardiest and versatile freshwater fish you can keep. I may be wrong but im pretty sure that guppy’s can happily tolerate pH ranges of 5.5-8.0 so you should be fine
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
I think that Guppies could adjust to your Ph, although they do prefer Ph that is a little lower. If you decide to get Guppies, you will have LOTS of babies...

Yes Sharon's right, you'll end up with LOTS and LOTS of babies , they're great fun to watch, i love em
Old ,
Super Moderator

Fish can acclimatise quite well as Sharon mentioned, but personally I think that would be too much of a difference in PH for them and I wouldn't keep them at a PH any less than 7 (neutral). Approx. 7.4-7.6/8 is ideal and they do prefer hard water.

Dano posted this great article which explains PH and affects it has on fish, in this thread,..http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=2200

Unfortunately I don't think livebearers are as hardy as they once were because of all the constant inbreeding/crossbreeding and they often suffer from illnesses and are prone to stress, so I would try to keep their water quality as close to their natural/preferred range as possible.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Fish can acclimatise quite well as Sharon mentioned, but personally I think that would be too much of a difference in PH for them and I wouldn't keep them at a PH any less than 7 (neutral). Approx. 7.4-7.6/8 is ideal and they do prefer hard water.

Dano posted this great article which explains PH and affects it has on fish, in this thread,..http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=2200

Unfortunately I don't think livebearers are as hardy as they once were because of all the constant inbreeding/crossbreeding and they often suffer from illnesses and are prone to stress, so I would try to keep their water quality as close to their natural/preferred range as possible.

Im a bit worried now because my pH is typically around 8, i read up and saw that they can tolorate pH's of up to 8.5. Hope my fishys will be ok
Old ,
Super Moderator

These are only my thoughts and not based on absolute fact, but I think the wild guppy can live comfortably in many/varied conditions such as acidic or alkaline waters (because it may often travel between the different ranges), but only for short periods of time, hence the idea that they are so versatile.

When it comes to captive-bred and fancy guppies these days, they may not be so tolerant/versatile anymore and if it is for long periods of time and to maintain optimum health, alkaline/hard water is preferred and much better for them. A ph between 7-8 even 8.5 is often considered the range. I feel that keeping them somewhere in the middle of that range is best, but that is just me!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

To see if guppies, harlies and cardinals are compatible, you can check on the site. Look at the top menu bar. You will see a tab located close to the menu that reads "compatability.' Click on it & you will be taken to a page with some drop-down menu boxes. These are great resources for getting an idea as to which fish get along with others. The lists are fairly conservative too.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory