Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,

Default Algae on Java Moss

I added java moss to my 20g tank a month after it was set up. I bought it on ebay. The seller said no snails. I was willing to pay more for this moss. It arrived looking very nice. Being new to plants I decided not to dip it before I put it into my 20g tank as the moss looked so good. The moss has more then doubled in size in a few months and was looking very nice. About 2 months later I have algae out of control in my 20g. I have never had algae like this before. Thank goodness I use separate siphons on each tank. Do you think this algae came in on the moss or is it a chemical imbalance?

A month ago I started to have brown algae on the eco complete substrate which probably is from new tank syndrome. I know that will go away. On all my decor and the tall fake plants, I have what looks like either hair or beard algae. I clean everything off every couple of weeks and it seems to come back faster. I am now concerned because in the last few days parts of my moss are covered in brown what looks like algae. IDK for sure.

I choose java moss because it is supposed to be an easy plant. I add no ferts and do not have special lighting.

How can I get rid of this stuff for good? What can I do with my java moss to make it look nice again? I have searched the plantgeek site for a solution to no avail. What they state is basically there is some sort of an imbalance in the tank. Do I really need to add ferts and co2 for java moss to stop this algae?

Thank you for any input in advance.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Default Re: Algae on Java Moss

Algae of any kind needs food and light to grow. There is only one way to control algae and that is to control the food and light. Algae can come in on anything and will grow on everything.
Check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (food)
Check for excess phosphate (food)
Check to see if the Eco Complete leaches fertilizer into the water (food)
Check for excess debris ie. dead plant matl. and fish poop (food)
Check for direct sunlight or strong light in room (light)
Check the time the tank light is on (light)
Fertilizer and co2 are used to enhance plant growth......algae is a plant!

I know algae is agrivating. We all have it to some degree. Excess of any of the above items makes it more agrivating. Small w/c every couple of days and activated carbon in the filter may help in diluting the nutriants in the tank. A timer on the light is a must. Please don't put an algicide product in your tank without considering the long term consequences.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Water Params
-------------------
Temp: 76-78
pH: 8
Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 10
KH : 5
GH : 8

No direct sunlight.
Tank lights on for about 9-10 hrs a day.

I do weekly 40% WC's. I do vacuum the best I can weekly. I slightly over feed as I'm worried the shrimp will not get food. I don't feel comfortable to only have algae for the shrimp.

How do I check for this...""Check to see if the Eco Complete leaches fertilizer into the water (food)""

I do not have a phosphate test but will look into it if needed. I can clean everything like I have been but what about the java moss that has been looking bad the last few days? It has brown parts. Is it dying or is that algae? How can I make it look nice again?

10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

ahh the dreadded bba
can't live with it
can't kill em

i had the same horrible issue when i took out all my gravel and added flourite and eco-complete
you'd think adding some plant substrate wil aid in plant growing

anyway
dano is right on the money as ususal (just teasing ya dano)
there is an imbalace in your tank(echo,echo)
see if you can add some floating plants to suck up any extra
nutrients
like hornwort, some clippings from wisteria
i cant think of any other plants rights now
even floating pond plants
at least for now
o and the timer will be your best friend
give your tank a 1hr siesta daily till the algea disappears
Old ,

Google Eco Complete to see what it is and what it does.
Pull the brown parts off the moss and discard it.
Cut the light duration down to may be 6 or 7 hrs. and watch the plant conditions to see if more or less duration is needed.
In my opinion, large water changes weekly is detrimental to the bio system and stresses the tank occupants. If you insist in weekly changes, at least consider lesser amounts of water removal such as 10% or less.

Every thing I have said here is only my opinion. Hopefully other members will add their comments on this also.
Old ,

Thank you for the suggestions. You both have given me a starting point to do something about this algae.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Hmmmm

I have four tanks, each of which have Eco-complete...

my 20 gallon at home only had problems with brown algae (most likely due to overfeeding by the generous husband)... it gets a little bit of the green diatom algae on glass but i clean it off every now and then.

the ten gallon at work gets TONS of the green hair algae and that grows down and in the eco-complete. The kids at school WAY over feed the fish AND they forget to turn off the light at the end of the day...

the 30 gallon in the school library has no algae problems whatsoever. It also has six cory cats and a big huge loach.

my new 75 gallon had a little bit of brown algae when i transported plants and water from the 20 gallon as seed material, but the addition of five ottos this past weekend cleaned it all up.

I don't know if the list of my tanks helps any, but from the above tanks, the only one that had problems wtih hair is the ten gallon with too much food and light...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Hi StormySkiez,

I don't think there is a need to consider the shrimp when you are feeding the fish in you 20g. As I understand it shrimp will live on anything left over from the fish. I have shrimp in two of my tanks - one with a thriving colony of shrimp were not fed for several weeks while I decided what I was going to do with them/it. So again, reducing food as suggested will help.

jellygirl
Old ,

Thanks GS and jellygirl. Sometimes Sometimes I feel crazy for how much I worry about the tanks and sea creatures. I hand feed my ghost shrimp because he tries so hard to eat fish food.

I have updates on my 20g. I mentioned some in another post. I'll post more info here later. In short the tank is looking much better.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery