Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,

Default Question about "Arrow" plant

I have an "Arrow" Plant (common name) in the 20 gallon tank. This plant looks like a variation of the common house plant philodendron specie.

My question is whether this is truly an aquatic plant or a plant that is merely being sold for aquariums but would do better in a semi-aquatic environment or a pot in the house.

Due to the leaf size and the fact that it isn't weighted down it tends to pull out of the substrate of the tank (medium gravel) and I have replanted it in the substrate in different locations (last planting was last night in an area of the tank with lower current. If this is an aquatic plant can I use some fishing line to tie a small lead sinker to the base of the plant, and would the lead sinker be harmful to the fish (guppies, neons) and shrimp?

The shrimp like to rest on the leaves of this plant and clean it of any algae that may grow, or to eat any fish food that lands on the leaves.

Thanks,
Dave
Old ,

Default Re: Question about "Arrow" plant

The Arrow plants around here are semi aquatic (bog plants). They will live a short time submurged. The lead won't hurt. Many plants are sold with narrow lead strips around the stems....................Get Amazon Sword plants if you want big long leaves.
Old ,

Default Re: Question about "Arrow" plant

Thanks Dano for the info. I have an amazon sword in one of the other tanks.... now to figure out how to get a start off of it

Dave