Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cycling

I tend to forget that others don't have the same routine as me - I usually do small p.w.c's every week, & being hot here the tanks quickly loose a lot of water from evaporation.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

It is not a steadfast rule that I only do a pwc every three to four weeks. If I feel that the fish are not as frisky or are just not looking right, I do a pwc; this is for my established tanks, which I do not test every day, but probably every three weeks or so or unless I think there is a reason I should sooner. Summertime, I do more because of the hot weather and I just think a nice fresh "bath" would be good for them more often. Then I sometimes do one every two weeks.

Australia! Wow! Bet it gets pretty hot and sticky there? We had the prettiest trees this morning! We had fog last night and a temp. of around 4 degrees above zero and the trees were loaded with frost this morning and the sun shining on them. How beautiful! Our camera is on the blink or I would have gotten some awesome pictures!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

Last edited by fishlover : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

It isn't a steadfast rule with me either

Fish get used to & like routine - they seem to know when feeding time is & lights on/off & it's funny & may be my imagination, but they seem to know when a p.w.c. is due, anticipating it.

Oh! that sounds beautiful, I love the look of frost & how it makes everthing seem fresh & clean.

Hot & Sticky! definitely - although this summer wasn't too bad-it was very humid though which makes it feel hotter.
Old ,

I think you are right! They do seem to know times for different things. Speaking of knowing feeding time, my husband never messes with the fish but tonight while I was feeding one aquarium, my husband was standing looking at Buddy, (my Betta). I told my husband to give him a couple of pellets. Well, my Betta was so excited when my husband opened the lid to feed him, he jumped almost out of the aquarium at my husband! First time he has ever done something like that. I think it was because my husband stood there for quite awhile just watching him before he opened the lid. Guess he was a little impatient for his food.

I just hate the humid weather. We get our share of that here in the summer. The last few summers have been terrible hot and humid.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

I did a pwc in my 29 yesterday and why in the world would the water be sooooo yellow??? It looked like someone peed in it. I am blaming it on the driftwood that is in there. It is a natural piece of driftwood. I rinsed it good before I put it in, and that is the only thing that I can think of that made the water so yellow. None of my other tanks ever did that. The fish are 100% fine though. No problems with them at all. Do you think it is the driftwood? Tests are still fine.

Old ,
Super Moderator

Probably is the driftwood leaching tannins into the water - Was it a new piece & did you boil it a few times first Nancy?

Does the water look yellow when you look at it through the tank or only when you did the pwc.

Added Later: LOL!!about your husband & Buddy - you may have to watch Buddy, they may not look it, but betta's are exceptional jumpers - as they usually jump for insects in the wild.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Driftwood can release tannins into the water, making it tea coloured. How lomg has it been in the tank, and did you soak it before you put it in the tank? The tannins are perfectly harmless...in fact, some people like the look, as well. I think carbon can help remove???( not sure)???

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

If you had an algae bloom (green water) and the water suddenly goes yellow you have a big problem. Dead and decaying algae. I hope that is not the case. Watch the ph and ammonia levels anyway.
Old ,

Thanks guys! Nope, no green water. I check the ammonia every day, being it is cycling, and it has always been at 0. The pH is 6.9. Nitrites are 0.05. I am going to town tomorrow so I will pick up a nitrate test kit.

It was a new piece of driftwood and I didn't boil it, but I rinsed it good and did soak it for a couple of days. I have had it in the tank for close to three weeks. The water didn't look yellow at all in the aquarium, just when I got it in the pail. Hopefully, it is just the driftwood. The fish look great, so the yellow water evidently doesn't bother them.

Yep, it sure surprised my husband when Buddy jumped up at him! Sure hope he never jumps out of the tank! I do have the back of the tank covered with mesh so he doesn't jump out there. Only thing is when you open the lid, he thinks about it.

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it!

Last edited by fishlover : at .