Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Cloudy Water Help?

Hi all,

I have a 20 gallon tank at work with 3 Orandas. It's been going for about three months now. I cycled it without fish, then added fish and had another cycle. The fish got stressed about three weeks ago when we had a power outage in our building over the weekend (I live in Alaska) and they got cold, then Ick. Cleared the Ick, everyone is well, but my tank has had cloudy water ever since. I've done a 1/4 water change last Friday and again on Monday and was planning a 1/2 water change Thursday or Friday.
Currently the tank is at:
03 nitrates: 5-10ppm
02 nitrates: 0-.5ppm
harndness: 50ppm
alkalinity: 100-120ppm
ph: 7-7.2ppm
Any suggestions what it might be or how to fix it?
Old ,

Default Re: Cloudy Water Help?

Hi .......the cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom. This just means that bacteria is colonizing, to deal with the ammonia and nitrites. It will go away, on it's own. Your tank is most likely cycling again, due to the power outage. How long was the filter not working? Also, I'm wondering why you had another cycle when you added your fish? Maybe you replaced media? Don't replace, unless worn out, and then not all at once.The nitrite reading of .5ppm is an indication yhat you are cycling, as there should be no ammonia and no nitrites in a cycled tank. Check your ammonia and nitrite readings daily, and do water changes to keep them below 1ppm. Hope this helps....keep us posted!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

ya it will go away. Also if you do not want to wait there is a formula that will take away the cloudy water (but it might not be the best idea when your tank is cycing).

Josh

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

Thank you all for your answers- and quickly too!
The filter was out and the temp was in the high 50's for 2-3days, so I guess I'm lucky I didn't lose anyone. It's been a few years since I've kept fish so want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
The only thing I added right after my fish was a new thermometer. It was given to me by a friend (used), but I throughly cleaned and dried it before putting it in the tank.
I'm confused as to why my tank keeps cycling, but will keep changing water and monitoring all the levels and keep you updated.

Robyn
Old ,

My Goodness, Robyn....it's a good thing you're keeping Orandas, as tropical fish would have died, at those temps!!! That's definitely the reason the filter bacteria died. You mention that your tank keeps cycling...tell us what maintenance routine you have...How often do you do water changes and how much water removed each time? What is your filter maintenance? Are you dechlorinating the new water? Something is causing this, and it's really hard on fish to live in a cycling tank, as they are exposed to toxins. I'm sure we can figure it out, with a little more info.......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,
Super Moderator

I don't think you would have lost them Robyn Orandas or any goldfish can withstand big fluctuations in temp.

You probably had a mini cycle when you added the fish because they would have added to the bioload & the bacteria just needed to adjust, because goldfish are very big waste producers.

As Sharon mentioned, this new bacterial bloom was caused by the power outage & some of the bacteria would also have died because of the change/drop in temp. & the bacteria is just re-establishing itself. The new thermometer wouldn't have affected anything.

I wouldn't worry, I know it may not look nice, but it isn't harmful to the fish at all (if ammonia/nitrite are staying at O & nitrate between 5-10ppm) & it will suddenly disappear. I had a bact.bloom once that lasted for weeks (due to overcleaning) & honestly one morning, during the time it took to make a cup of coffee-it cleared up!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

You have all eased my mind- thank you! I did look for fairly low maintenance fish for the office, just in case!
I usually do a 1/4 water change each week, and then a 1/2 water change once a month. I change out the filter monthly as well, but not at the same time as the big water change. Yes, I'm treating the water before adding it to the tank and have a dedicated bucket for this.
They're on the same schedule as my daughter's 10 gallon tank with feeder goldfish someone bought her 8 years ago! How long do those guys live anyway???
They get sinking pellets in the am and brine shrimp in the pm every day but Saturday when they just get the sinking pellets in the morning. Then they fast on Sunday (haha) Occiasionally they get frozen peas when I remember to bring some in. Any way that could affect anything?

Robyn
Old ,

Changing the filter media every month will reduce your good bacteria considerably. Just rinse in dechlorinated water once every couple of months. Peas once a week is great! I feed my Fantails once a day, as Goldfish are a messy fish. Two small feedings should be fine....just don't give too much, as leftovers contribute to the nitrates.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,
Super Moderator

It is getting off the topic of "water quality" but just to answer Robyn the goldfish can live for 30 yrs. & keep growing their whole life.
Old ,

Update:
Water magically cleared this afternoon while I was out to lunch!
Nitrites O3 are at 0 and Nitrates are 5-10ppm.

Thanks for your help!

Really 30 years????

Robyn