Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default black hair algae

Anybody know how to get rid of black hair algae?
Old ,

Default Re: black hair algae

Describe your "black hair algae"
Old ,

If you actually meant by Brush Algae, then Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) is the only known good option. If it is Hair Algae which is not black, then you have more options including Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp...
Old ,
Super Moderator

There are so many types of algae out there, it could be hair algae or thread algae but they usually co-exist & when you have one you have the other - hair algae often has a gray/greenish colour to it & thread algae is more black & grows much longer.

If possible, can you please mention what fish are in the tank & if you have live plants - sorry if you have mentioned this in another thread somewhere (I have forgotten).

It is important to know which algae it is because The true Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) is probably the only one that will eat thread algae (some barbs may pick at it) - I could be wrong through. Flying foxes & false SAE's are often mistaken for the real SAE because they look very similar, & oto's usually do not eat this algae.

New live plants can bring in hair algae if the spores are on them from the lfs. It might be an idea to test your nitrate levels to see if they are high, as well as phosphate (if you have a test for it).

Some hair algae can be very hard to get rid of - can you tell us where the algae is - if it is just on the leaves, you may need to cut those leaves off. Some types can be removed by twirling the threads around a piece of plastic or something & pulling it off that way. Having a strong water current also helps, making it harder for spores to get hold.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Miller fritz....You haven't given a reply as to what your algae looks like.....Can't help without knowing what it is. You would need many algae eating fish to make a difference anyway.
Old ,

Oh my goodness you guys I AM SO sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner, I have been so swamped college lately I totally forgot I had even posted anything! I feel so flakey!

The algae is blackish-green, is about a centimeter and a half tall and looks like cat hair or bad shag carpeting! It started on my plants and moved to my decorations.

the aquarium: custom built glass and stainless steel hexagon; 100 gal. from point to point at the base it measures about 85 centimeters and is just over a meter tall.

the fish: two adult Golden Gouramis (Trichogastar Trichopterus), three Pearl gouramis (T. Leeri), about eight Tiger barbs, two dojo loaches and a plecostomus (he's almost 30 centimeters).

Substrate and Decor: The substrate is 90% white sand, 5% multi colored river rock and 5% natural aquarium gravel. For decor there is a large piece of mangrove root made from polyresin.

Plants: Three amazon swords, three bronze wendii, two "onion" plants (these are some kind of freshwater grass that actually looks like an onion; bulb at the roots and long grass like leaves which grow to like 2 meters), and a few bunches of Rotala Indica.

I'm lighting this aquarium with three 100 watt compact flourescent bulbs and the filter is a magnum 350 canister.

Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrates are around 10. I was unable to test the phosphates but they are probably high because of the fertilizer I'm using for the plants. I would like to make a Co2 injecter involving brewers yeast but have no idea what one looks like or where to becin. the only information on them I was to obtain was pretty much that they exist so any help there would also be great.

I hope this info on my aquarium is sufficient and I once again apologise for the delay in responce.
Old ,

Sounds like beard algae. It is a tough nut to crack. If it grows around the edge of your plant leaves like a chin beard there is little you can do without damaging the plants. You could try squeezing it of the leaves or cutting the worse leaves out. You will have to remove the decor items and soak them in a 1 to 19 solution of bleach. I have never used mechanical co2 injection, but I hear that it burns the algae out. Heavy doses of Florish Excell is supposed to help. Try getting your light on a shorter time span (timer). I don't think that a black out will severly affect beard algae, but it may be worth a try if your outbreak is bad. Getting a good growth of plants and a fertilizing regime will do more to keep the algae in check than anything else. Let us know how this works and good luck.
Old ,

what about algaefix or some other kind of algaecide. I know they work by depleting the oxygen levels in the water so the algae can't breath. SOme are supposed to be safe for plants. I know they are obviously dangerous for the fish because a drop in dissolved oxygen is never good for fish but I was thinking since the gouramis can breath atmospheric oxygen...
Old ,
Super Moderator

This link may help you in what it actually look like - it does sound like either Beard Algae or Green Brush Algae!

http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

The Beard Algae is much harder to get rid of as Dano said & I would try his advice. If it is green brush - plecos & snails will eat it.

I personally wouldn't use chemicals to eradicate it unless absolutely necessary.

High CO2 levels are good in getting rid of it but fish don't like it high.

This other link may help with the making of your CO2 injector - I personally don't have much experience with that.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-ferm.html#0