Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old ,

Default Help With Betta

Hi folks,

I have a betta who is probably about 2-3 years old. He's been fine up until yesterday morning when I noticed he was just hanging around the bottom of the tank (sorta like sitting on the gravel). He progressed from there to lying against a plastic plant. Couldn't get him to wake up very much. This morning he was lying on his side. I'm almost afraid to go home!!

Does this sound like THE END? He gets regular water and filter changes, food and temp haven't changed.

Thanks for any advice.

40 gal breeder: 4 tiger barbs, 6 black ruby barbs, 2 aurelius barbs, red tail shark, clown loach, 4 cories, rubber nosed pleco, and a sailfin pleco (Rumsfeld)
29 gal: 6 rosy barbs (some home grown), 4 cherry barbs, 2 new dwarf neon rainbows, red tail shark, 7 cories, and a sailfin pleco (Karl- after Karl Rove), 2 otos
Eclipse 3: Clifford The Big Red Fish (betta)
Old ,

Default Re: Help With Betta

Hi fairghum, the average lifespan of the beloved Betta is typically around 2-3 years, so it's possible that he is on his way out as you suspect

Old ,

I just lost my Betta, Buddy, a week ago. Sure hope yours makes it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

Is this the behavior they display when they're dying? Thanks.

40 gal breeder: 4 tiger barbs, 6 black ruby barbs, 2 aurelius barbs, red tail shark, clown loach, 4 cories, rubber nosed pleco, and a sailfin pleco (Rumsfeld)
29 gal: 6 rosy barbs (some home grown), 4 cherry barbs, 2 new dwarf neon rainbows, red tail shark, 7 cories, and a sailfin pleco (Karl- after Karl Rove), 2 otos
Eclipse 3: Clifford The Big Red Fish (betta)
Old ,
Super Moderator

Hi fairghum, yes unfortunately it could be if all your water parameters are OK & no outward signs of illness.

Is Clifford still able to swim to the surface to get air? if not, they can drown..if he is having trouble, I would lower the water level a bit so he doesn't have to swim as far. You could also add a dissolved teaspoon of salt to the tank, which might perk up him a bit.

You are very lucky to have him that long & must be taking very good care of him, most bettas usually only live 2 yrs at most...
Old ,

True. They dont last long but only because we dont have them as juveniles but more as adults. Surely you did a great job with him if he lasted that much. Hope he makes it.

"It's better being happy than being right"