Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old ,

Default Re: Not sure what to do

I think the water current might cause him strss since they are built for calm waters. Also he might have lots of competitors for food and might had not eaten well. Bigger tanks (like the 28g) might have slower currents than the 10g and 20g so that might explain the diffrerence. I had a Betta in my 55g and he was building a bubble nest even with the Discus as neighbors. In no sense of sounding mean I doubt Bettas might prefer smaller containers just as birds wouldnt prefer cages. That by no means means you cannt give them proper care on those smaller containers, but means you will have to pay more attention to them about the water quality and temperature. Take good care of your Bettas, I know you all will.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

The way that I feed my Male and Female Betta is to feed all the other fish some tropical granules they start to go to the bottom. While the others are following the food to the bottom I put the Betta food in a corner. The Betta have learned to wait in that corner. Then I give my little fry some flakes. That way everyone gets fed. Then they all clean up what is left over from the Bettas and Fry. That is how it works for me. Maybe that's the way to make sure your Betta gets enough food.
________
Ford Bronco II

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

I had to feed my betta just like you do sandygirl and he did eat. They do seem to like cover in a larger tank as mine lies under the heater in the corner where the airstone is, a small pile of flat marbel rock and 2 small plants (That's His Spot). I'm going to have to make him a cave, probably move the airstone and keep a good eye on him. Both first days in the tank he would swim across the back area multiple times and on his second day in the tank he came out front only a few times for a couple of minutes and up to the top a few times. This morning (his third day with me) while it is still dark I caught him in a front corner and he is still up front hanging out longer then any other time. It has to be a shock to go from a cup all alone to a community tank.

fishlover how long have you had Gus? lemuelpr does your betta rest at the bottom of his tank a lot? sandygirl does your betta come out to swim very often?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

I have 3 Bettas and they are all in different types of tanks, so I agree, they are all really different, even for being the same species of fish!
Raven had been in the 20 xhi and he was making bubble nests from day one, but he is also super agressive so I had to move him to a 5 gallon so I could put more fish in the 20. His nest in the 5 gallon filtered tank is huge, with bubbles piling up out of the water
Azul, who is sick, is also now in a 5 gallon, with a little corner filter with control knob on the air turned to low. He has never made a bubble nest, but he also has been sick for the majority of the time I have had him
Nipper is my newest Betta and has been with us about a week. He lives in the 2o with a bunch of cardinal tetras and albino cories, he swims all over the place and seems quite happy. He doesnt bother with a bubble nest either, he seems to preoccupied with everything else in the tank
They are all unique and that's part of what makes them so special

Old ,

He had no competition for food at all. The only other fish in there are Corys and one Otto, so no problem there.

I have had this Betta since April 22, so not that long. He seemed to do ok in the tank at first, but then he went downhill.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

I expect that every betta has a different personanlity, and quirks. I would say, observe your fish and do what you think is best..... Lemuel does have a good point. Smaller containers do require more maintenance...I change Miki's water every other day....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories

Last edited by Sharon : at .
Old ,

Yep, that is what I have been changing Gus' water too. I do feel bad about messing up his bubble nest. He justs gets one made and I change his water.

I think that just observing is the key also. I was brought up that way on the farm and learned how to read animals very well. I raise calves from the bottle to around 500 pounds, so I need to watch them very close for sickness and any signs of anything that isn't just right. With little calves, one mistake could cost the calf its life. Touchy little buggers.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

My Betta is out swimming a lot especially when the light is on. Maybe he knows that if he isn't friendly he could end up in a little cup again all by himself. (I wouldn't do it). I am watching him closely incase he decides to get aggressive with the female. Right now she is faster than him. I hope he continues to be friendly.
________
Rambler Six history

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

I feel better...20 mins or so after feeding (I had to cut him raw shrimp soaked in vitamins and garlic because he would not eat anything else) my betta has been out and about for the last hour swimming the whole tank. He looks very comfortable right now. Thanks for the reply guys, it gives me an idea on time frame and what is normal for these beautiful fish.

fishlover Gus must not have been happy at all in the 10g because he surely had enough time to acclimate. It's a good thing you thought to take him out and place him alone. I was going to get a betta for my 10g but I have had second thoughts on it as I want to keep the one I have happy and keep it at that for now. I don't think another betta in my 10g would like all the snails and the very fast danios so close to him.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery