Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

View Poll Results: If you could change anything about a betta what would it be?
Compatible with other males/females. 10 76.92%
Less demanding fry. 1 7.69%
Compatibility with other colorful fish. 0 0%
Smaller bettas. 0 0%
Larger bettas. 0 0%
Only suitable for 5+ gallon tanks. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Default Re: What would you change?

I don't agree Dano. The seller needs to take responsibility. Why is the customer to blame for horrid betta conditions. Most new fish owners would not know any difference. Then you have the ppl that rescue fish. Blame them? I wouldn't. I blame the sellers. It is out right inhumane to keep a fish in a cup.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Whether you agree or disagree doesnt matter. You and many others want to complain, but will not give your time or money to change anything. Why don't you raise funds and start and finance an organization to take this issue to the very tops of all the world governments. Gather masses of followers, take up arms, and force your will on those that would continue to cruelly abuse poor Bettas. While you are at it you could feed the hungry masses of the world and bring peace.........Or, you could do like most people, grumble about it then forget it. Business as usual..

BTW: Several years ago a group of people that I was a member of got a letter writting campaign going to the many agencies that oversee the pet trades and animal rights groups. We tried to bring attention to bettas and other abused critters. We got a few form letters and "we'll look into it" notifications for our efforts and that was it! So I can say I atleast tried to do more than just talk about the issue!!

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
We have changed the poor things enough from their drab little ansestors in the pools and rice paddies of Asia. It is our fault that Bettas are sold in those tiny cups! WE KEEP BUYING THEM!!
I think Dano hit the nail on the head here, seriously. It's all about supply, demand and making money. Fish have always been treated differently from other animals, probably because you cant cuddle up with it or let it sleep on your bed, and companies take advantage of that. Stores sell them in those little cups because people keep buying them in those little cups. Yes, the stores know better, but since they keep selling, then there is a demand and why stop if there is demand? They are, afterall, in the business of making money and not neccisarily caring about the little moneymakers. Companies continue to make those teeny Betta set ups that hold 2 cups of water, because people still buy them and they still make money on it. Buying the fish to save them only saves the one you just bought, but since that adds to the demand, the stores will bring in more to replace the one you just saved. It doesnt stop there, many of the animals sold in pet stores come from mills. We all know about the mills, but as long as people keep buying their pets from the stores that get them from mills, the mills stay in business and the abuse continues. But you have to pick and choose your battles carefully since there are so many things wrong with the world today. And there are small things you can do everyday that can at least let you sleep at night, although often times they have little if any impact. I don't buy Betta's from stores that keep them in the cups, so that leaves me 1 supplier, which also happens to be the LFS right down the street from me. All their Betta's are either in tanks, or in large goldfish bowls, which is better then then 1 cup bowls anyday. And you can tell everyone you know how to properly care for fish and to not buy Betta's from the tiny cups and don't buy those little bowls for them either. Education is key. For me personally, I don't buy any animals from pet stores, period. My daughters guinea pigs came from the Spca as well as our cats and even then, I have to make decisions that effect the animals the most. I don't get kittens or baby animals, I always go for the adults, because the adults are the ones with the highest euth rates ~ they sit in shelters for months while the kittens get scooped up right away. I can't volunteer at the shelter these days with my busy family, but I make several donations a year as well as help to raise money when they have things like Paws in the park, and Pets on Puurade. And I teach my children to love animals and to take care of them properly and to stand up for what they believe, even if it goes against the grain. I can't change the whole world, but I can raise 3 girls who just might
That's my 2 cents

Last edited by suppleupagus : at .
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Whether you agree or disagree doesnt matter. You and many others want to complain, but will not give your time or money to change anything. Why don't you raise funds and start and finance an organization to take this issue to the very tops of all the world governments. Gather masses of followers, take up arms, and force your will on those that would continue to cruelly abuse poor Bettas. While you are at it you could feed the hungry masses of the world and bring peace.........Or, you could do like most people, grumble about it then forget it. Business as usual..

BTW: Several years ago a group of people that I was a member of got a letter writting campaign going to the many agencies that oversee the pet trades and animal rights groups. We tried to bring attention to bettas and other abused critters. We got a few form letters and "we'll look into it" notifications for our efforts and that was it! So I can say I atleast tried to do more than just talk about the issue!!

I missed this post.

Fish are one of the most abused pets. It's absurd the fish stores sell a fish with an uncycled tank that is to small for the fish. They would make more money if they sold lets say bio spira to cycle the tank with and the right size tank to go with the fish that will grow to be six inches. It would be marvelous if all pet stores gave out the correct care information on the pets they sold. Talking about the issues is a start. I help in a different way. I help educate the buyer or owner when I can. Education can go a long way.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery