Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old ,

Default Not sure what to do

I recently bought a new Betta, (Gus), and I thought he was sick so I took him out of the 10-gallon tank and put him in a temporary 2-gallon bowl. When I put him in there his color was all dull and his fins were curled up as tight as they would go. I thought for sure he would die. When he was in the 10-gallon, he would do nothing but hide. Now that he has been in the bowl, he is 100% again. He is a beautiful color and his fins are no longer rolled up. Today, he was making bubble nests! My other Betta I had was in the 10 gallon also and never once made a bubble nest. I have the two gallon bowl setting amongst my plants by a window. He seems to love it! I am scared to put him back in the 10-gallon tank. He just didn't like it one bit. I know he would have died if I would have left him in that tank. I took him out in the first place because I didn't want my Cory's getting sick. I am considering leaving him in that bowl. I don't think he would be making bubble nests if he was miserable??? He just seems so content now.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

Default Re: Not sure what to do

What do you think might have been in the ten gallon that made him sick??
Old ,

My new betta does not seem happy in his 20g. IDK if it will take time or if they prefer smaller living quarters?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Does he have anything on or near the top where he can hide? He might feel more secure with something there like a leafy plant, ect.
Old ,

Maybe he prefers still water and didnt like the current coming from the filter, or maybe he likes to be alone away from the cories ( who can sometimes drive Betta's nuts with their activity level ). If he seems happy and content in the bowl, I would leave him in there. Since it is a small bowl, change all the water weekly and don't skip doing it ~ the water can get polluted quickly. It would probably work best for you to get 2 plastic gallon jugs and leave them sitting somewhere all week at room temperature, that way it is the same temp he is in and the chlorine will be dissolved, you'll always have water ready

Old ,

Nancy, I have found the same with both my Bettas. My first, Toby, was put in the bowl when he developed SBD, and he was so much happier...bubble nests all the time. Miki was placed in the bowl from the beginning. I did try him in a 5 gal tank for a few days, but he seemed so miserable, that I put him back in the bowl. I think that Bettas prefer small spaces, as they like to "patrol" their territory often...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,
Super Moderator

I have always felt that Bettas are better off alone and not suited for community tanks...Gus did sound stressed and I agree with Cher, that it could have been from the cories activity or definitely from the water current...often it is too strong for them in a tank, particularly if there are other fish in there because you still need to have a relatively good water flow. Often they do try to make bubblenests in tanks (mine always did) but they keep getting broken by the current or other fish activity.

I don't think it is that they prefer a small space Sharon, but more so shallow water, it takes a lot of energy for them to swim to the surface ....The 20 gall. may be too high for your betta Stormy.
Old ,

Dano, I don't think there was anything in the 10 gallon that made him sick. The Corys and the Otto are doing just fine. I just really think he didn't like all the room in there. Yep, there are plants in there too at the top that he could have hid in, but he went to the bottom and laid in the pots that are in there. I couldn't hardly coax him out to eat.

Stormy, I really do think they prefer smaller living areas. This one sure seems to.

Cher, I had the filter turned down to low and also had a piece of a pop bottle blocking the flow. There wasn't much of a current at all. As far as the Corys, these are peppered ones and these aren't very active at all, not like the albinos. I have been changing his water every other day in his bowl. Maybe that is too often? I had to mess up his bubble nest today when I changed his water. I didn't like doing that.

Sharon, I think you are absolutely right! I honestly think they do prefer small spaces.

Bernie, yep, I think they do prefer it alone. For now, I think I will leave him where he is. I really would hate to mess him up again. He is really strutting his stuff right now.

Thanks everyone!!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

My Betta (Mr. Blue) is in my 28 gal tank and is very happy. He has a cave that he sits in and look out at the other fish. Female Betta, Swordtails, Mollys and Weather Loach (Loachie.) When I go near the tank he comes out looking for food and swims with the rest of the bunch. He doesn't bother the female or any of the other fish and they don't bother him. Just one big happy family.

I was wondering what a bubble nest looks like. As far as I no he has never layed one. Betta's must all have different personalities.
________
weed vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Hi Sandy, yep, Bettas seem to have multiple personalities. Not all of them like the same things, evidently. I can't believe the difference in my Betta since he has been in the bowl. He is as proud as a peacock!

Bubble nests are just a bunch of bubbles on top of the water kind of in a big glob. They are pretty neat!