Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old ,

Default Bettas and tank decorations

While the forum was locked I had a terrible thing happen to my female betta. I have a clay pot in my tank for decoration. It has a hole in the bottom that is not very big. One morning I couldn't find female betta and there she was stuck in the hole. I did get her out but she was so damaged from trying to get out all night that she died in a few hours. I would never have thought any of my fish would try and go through the hole. I have covered the hole, but it is to late for my pretty girl.

Just wanted to let people know how decorations can be deadly.
________
easy vape vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Bettas and tank decorations

Oh, I'm so sorry, Sandy! It's not that uncommon actually. My daughter's Betta did the same thing, although she got him out soon after he got stuck, so he survived. Fish are just curious, I guess...Maybe we all should take a look in our tanks!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

That same thing happened to a betta which belonged to a friend of mine. It wasn't a clay pot, in which it got stuck but a clay pot-type urn-like decoration.... it was so sad.

My sympathies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
While the forum was locked I had a terrible thing happen to my female betta. I have a clay pot in my tank for decoration. It has a hole in the bottom that is not very big. One morning I couldn't find female betta and there she was stuck in the hole. I did get her out but she was so damaged from trying to get out all night that she died in a few hours. I would never have thought any of my fish would try and go through the hole. I have covered the hole, but it is to late for my pretty girl.

Just wanted to let people know how decorations can be deadly.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Thanks everyone I guess it's just like protecting our children. We have to try and second guess what dangerous situation they will get into next. And try to keep them safe.

Today I bought another female betta. She is very pretty. White body with purple fins and a bit of purple on her head. She is very small so I am keeping her in the breeding tank right inside of the big tank. I did that with my last female and the male betta, and all the other fish got so use to her that when I let her go in two weeks into the community they never bothered her. They are all curious, but non of them are acting aggressive. Small fry is going to be happy that there is someone smaller than her.
________
Mercedes-Benz O305 history

Last edited by sandygirl : at .