Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old ,

Unhappy Ottos keep dying

Any idea what Ottos are the most sensitive to in the water? Mine keep dying, (just in my 30 gallon), and I can't figure out why. My tests are good. I have some rocks from Lake Michigan that I had in that tank, but I took them all out a few weeks ago. I have some smaller rocks from there also in my other tank. No problems in that tank. I acclimate all my fish carefully to the water before adding them. I have four Cories in that tank also, and they are just fine. I know Cories can be kind of sensitive too. I just don't get it. Thanks!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

Default Re: Ottos keep dying

Also, I took some fresh tests this morning.......

Ammonia.... 0
Nitrites.......0.05
pH............7.0
Nitrates.....12.5

I keep the temp. around 78. There is plenty of algae for them and I also have a plastic bubble wand that runs across the back of the tank.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

Last edited by fishlover : at .
Old ,

Otocinclus are a finicky fish to keep. Some do well with them and many more do not. I do not know of any special things that will guarantee their longevity. I gave up on them not because they wouldn't live for me, but that I found them not to be the great algae eaters that many claim them to be. I will look on the Internet for anything that might be helpful to you.

Just added: I googled Otoclincus and got a lot of reviews..........You may want to try this as I could not find anything pro or con.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

i tried ottos too with no luck
i bought sae for algea control and a BN pleco
they seems to last alot longer than ottos
Old ,

Thanks guys. If this bunch of Ottos all die, I may try the SAE's. I do have three Ottos in my other tank that I have had for a year. Course, that tank hasn't been a problem of any kind whatsoever anyway. Maybe I just lucked out with that one?

Thanks again!

Old ,

When you look for the 'True' Siamese Algae Eaters, be sure you look for the correct identifying features which separate SAE's from Chinese Algae Eaters and Flying Foxes... the latter 2 not being nearly as efficient in algae control. Here is an informative article: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebindex/saes.htm
Old ,
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Nancy

It can be very hard to pinpoint the exact reason...I think most of the problems start from shipping. The Otos usually loose a lot of their gut bacteria due to lack of feeding during that time, that some never are able to digest food properly and eventually starve to death even though there may be plenty of food for them in the tank.

I'm sure you are doing everything right and the only advise I can give anyone buying otocinclus is:
  • Never add them to a tank that hasn't been established for at least 6 mths.
  • Wait until they have been in the LFS for a few weeks before buying them and make sure there stomach is nice and round.
  • Avoid any fluctuations in any water parameters. As well as the normal ammonia/nitrite, they seem particularly sensitive to PH and nitrate fluctuations for some reason. Always try to keep nitrate below 10.
  • Keep dissolved oxygen levels up and have a relatively strong water current.
  • Try and have brown algae (diatoms) present in the tank, particularly when the otos are introduced, it is a great food source for them and it is their favourite.
Some say that otos should only be kept in a planted tank (due to the plants aiding in better water quality and they also provide a bit of extra food if the algae is scarce, but I have had my guys for a long long time now and they are doing very well in my tanks that are all unplanted. It may come down to just the luck of the draw sometimes with these fish.

Hope your other otos survive Nancy!
Old ,

Louphoenix, I am glad you mentioned that about the differences in the SAE from the others. I wouldn't have know that. I will definitely read that article over before I buy any. Thanks!!

Bernie, I found another dead one in the tank yesterday and another one that isn't looking good. That will be three out of five of this last bunch, so far. The first four I bought, from the first bunch, all died. Guess I should learn. There are two that look pretty good, so ya never know about those. I just don't think that two are enough to keep the algae down in a 30 gallon?? There's lots of algae in that one. Thanks!!

Old ,

Sorry about the ottos . Have you considered olive nerita snails? The are easy keepers and 6 of them have demolished the algae in my 20g tank. They do not breed in FW. I love mine! They also have other varieties that are very pretty but you probably have to special order them.

Neritas: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...76&pcatid=1076
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Thanks, Stormy! I will check into those also. Glad to hear they don't breed in FW. That is one concern I have always had with snails.