Forums  
  Discussion  
  Member Photos  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 AM

Default Mollies, Platy's, and Swordtails

After doing some research I've concluded that most Live bearers can live together in the same tank, however will each species breed amongst themselves with other species present in the tank? (Will a Mollie breed with another Mollie if their are Platy's and Swordtail's in the same tank) (As well, is it possible to breed a Mollie with a Platy or a Platy with a swordtail) Also, If I notice a female who might be pregnant, and remove her from her normal tank and into a breeding trap, should I leave the fry in the breeding trap and feed them their, or move them to a separate tank altogether?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Mollies, Platy's, and Swordtails

It is true that most Livebearers will live in the same tank. Male Mollies and Swords can be aggressive. I'm not sure about Mollies but Platies and Swords can and do cross. I can't see why fish of the same family would be reluctant to breed among them selves in the presents of other types. If you get a lot of fry you want to keep, it would be best to have a small grow out tank. A few fry could exist in a large net type breeder trap until they got big enough to make it in the adult tank. The big issue would be not fouling their water with uneaten food.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM

My understanding about Mollies is that they prefer brackish water, and do better in that environment than in true fresh water like the swordtails and platties.

there are some very interesting sword/platty hybrids and some are even sought after; however, there is also a chance of getting a strain of hybrid that wouldn't be desirable to anyone but you, then you have to figure out what you would do with any and all fry.

Dave
Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM

The platys and Swordtails can breed, but they cant cross with mollies.

For some reason I could never get a female to release living fry in a breeder trap, they were always undeveloped and deformed, the only time i got living fry was when I put them in there own tank.

Just incase you were wondering mollys, guppies, and endlers can breed together, (not 100% about endler x molly though)
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Just a thought. They may inter breed, but they will naturally select others of their own kind to breed with first. Usually cross breeding occurs when the two different fish are isolated together and similar fish aren't available.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Alright, thats great. thanks very much, I'll probably having more questions once the females do get pregnant, and when she gives birth, but for now thats great.

30 Gallon
- 1 Epalzeorhynchos Frenatus
- 1 Geophagus Taeniopareius
- 1 Metynnis Hypsauchen
- 2 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
- 2 Gold Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 2 Blue Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 3 Hemigrammus Caudovittatus

20 Gallon
- Cleaning

Old 10-04-2008, 04:10 AM

Today actually, I just clued in that one of my female Mollies is getting larger and may possibly be pregnant. I'm comparing it to the other female in my tank and I'm guessing there fairly close to the same age. How long do they stay large because I've already talked to my local fish store and they won't have breeding traps in until Monday. Will my Mollie be fine, or is there a chance it might release the young before than. I just really noticed it now, so it can be that fair along but I'm just unaware of how long the pregnancy does last.

30 Gallon
- 1 Epalzeorhynchos Frenatus
- 1 Geophagus Taeniopareius
- 1 Metynnis Hypsauchen
- 2 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
- 2 Gold Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 2 Blue Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 3 Hemigrammus Caudovittatus

20 Gallon
- Cleaning