Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Angelfish and Discus

Angelfish and Discus General questions and comments about angelfish and discus.

Old ,

Default Re: Thinking of Starting a Discus Tank

It has been only about 7 days since you vacuumed out the Carib sand, which probably disturbed the bio system.....I don't believe you mentioned whether your tank was cycled.........Have you tested the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?...................Now that you have added 6 new fish all at one time into the 55 gallon tank, I hope you watch everything very closely.....I have a bad feeling the tank wasn't ready for discus.

Also: Otos will harass Discus by trying to suck on their sides.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Dano,

The tank was cycled. The sand was removed but it was a combo sand/gravel mixture with the gravel remaining. The filter which is a Canister filter has been running for two years (+). I did not empty it on the move down so the bacteria was still present. I have and will be monitoring all of my conditions on a day to day basis. The ammonia and nitrite have been zero. The nitrate is 5.0 ppm. As a side note, with the pH I have my tank at (6.8 and slowly lowering) the ammonia should not form as readily. My KH is 8.5 degrees but Hans kept his tanks at 8.0 which is ok. I have had 3 cory cats and 2 ottos in the tank for over a month now on top of the bacteria in the canister. Plus I have been doing at least 20% RO water changes every 5 days with a small tap water change in between. Trust me when spending $200 on fish I will make sure the tank is ready and that I watch it like a hawk!

As for the ottos I have heard many differing opinions on them. Some people say yes some people say no. The same goes for Plecos and any other alge eater for that matter. Since I am also feeding them algae wafers on top of the algae in the tank this should lessen their chance of harassing my Discus. I will watch the ottos and if they start bothering the Discus then they will be removed.

-Lucas

Last edited by lrmarks2003 : at . Reason: Entered nitrate data
Old ,

Well, it has been a while since your last post. How are the Discus doing and do you have nay pictures?

39 gallon...2 Kribs
39 gallon...2 Geophagus 1 Angel 5 Clown Loaches 3 Silver Dollars 1 Pleco 3 cory cats
39 gallon...8 African Cichlids 2 Cory Cats
39 gallon...1 Geophagus 3 Silver Dollars 2 Corries 1 Pleco 1 Pearl Eartheater
55 gallon...10 Discus and 3 corries
Old ,

i was thinking the same thing there judie!
time for some pic`s you took the plunge,thats where i want to go
but wont be till end of year.
looking and reading!!
and i want a nice big tank for them