Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Is this a good tank?

This is a 50 Gallon tank. And its ONLY around $200. Thats so cheap. So I really want it. But is it good? Experienced aquarists, what do you think?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753080

Is it worth it?

Also, since its acrylic, will its scratch if i clean it with a special acrylic magnet cleaner. Its specially designed for acrylic tanks, so I think it should not scratch, right?

thank you
Old ,

Default Re: Is this a good tank?

I can't tell you whether this tank is worth the money to you it has pros and cons.

pros:
no seams to re-seal

lighter weight than glass

cons:
light unit will probably need to be changed in order to provide adequate light for plants.
acrylic scratches way easier than glass.

For me it isn't worth it as I like glass so I can scrub hard to remove algae or hard water off with a scotch brite pad (this will make acrylic so scratched you would be upset if you forgot and scrubbed it). Also if I were to dry the tank up and put it away for an extended period of time I would want to be able to use a 'Lime Away' or other product to remove hard water stains.

Also I can purchase used tanks that need minimal cleanup for much less money leaving me more money for filters, pumps, fish, plants and other supplies. Sometimes you have to re-seal a used tank if it hasn't been used for a long time and the silicone has dried or rotted but this is easy to do and the tank will be usable within a couple weeks (cure time for new silicone). As an example of this I purchased a 10 and 20 gallon tanks with pumps, filters (a 20 and a 10 gallon hang off back type), decorations, air stones, some food (which was old so I used it to help cycle a tank), some vet supplies, and lighting all for $40.00 last summer; I cleaned this up and filled the tanks outside to make sure they held water and then set them up and let them cycle for over a month each before adding fish.

So you see 'Worth' is a matter of perspective; that tank may be worth the money to you, but for me I would search Craigslist or other sources as by going an alternate route you can get more bang for your buck.

Good luck with which ever choice you make (to buy or not the tank you linked to).

Dave
Old ,

Default Re: Is this a good tank?

Compare the plastic tank to a standard 55 gallon glass tank before you buy.