Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old ,

Default New fry! (and how to change water?)

When I got home yesterday with the floating plants there were fry! I don't know how many but my guess would be around 6 survivors at that point. this morning I still see 3 or 4. Mama fish is still pretty big so there may be more coming. I tried to get some photos but I don't know how they turned out. They are hiding behind my large piece of decor so I moved it against the back wall - the fry can fit in that space but the adults can't. I also have lots of plants now, and the babies are sort of white to tan so they blend in with my gravel. Very cute. It would be nice if one or two survive.

How long before they are too big to be eaten? They are already a half-inch or so long. Also, I need to do a PWC today - is it OK if they go through the siphon into a bucket? I have read about using a turkey baster to move them around so it shouldn't be hard to put back any that get sucked up. But does this injure them? Should I remove them to a cup or something first? Or just be very careful with the siphon?
Old ,

Default Re: New fry! (and how to change water?)

Carefully syphon without disturbing gravel, plants, or decor. I use a smaller rigid tube and sypon snails off of the glass of the tank, being careful not to get fry or shrimp. With a larger tube on your syphon you can sypon so that the water goes through a fish net.

After you have the water removed from the tank take a light and look closely at it before discarding. When discarding pour through a small fishnet or cheese cloth.

Dave
Old ,

Thank you! I did the pwc just as you said and I didn't suction up any fry. I put a piece of pantyhose over the end of the siphon with a rubber band, which seemed to work fine.
Old ,

Congrats on the little fry! I had 2 fry my first time which is small for a litter but anyways, what i did once i saw the fry: i took a net breeding trap and hooked it onto my tank and there was water in the trap. I caught the fry with a net (careful they're fast). Then i fed them on the 2nd day so they had contact with some food (the food was either extremely fine or i had some bought which helps them grow). After a week i took them out of the trap and put them in the tank with the adults. Your way is more natural which is best with the survival of the fittest, but good luck anyways!

The adults might chase them but they won't be in any danger. Good thinking with the decor .
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Fry Update and Questions:

So far I still have 4 babies, now 3 weeks old and growing fast. I put up a photo in the Small Tanks forum. They are very cute and I could watch them for hours. I was wondering when they start showing adult coloration? Right now three of them are white and one is more gray in color. Also, when can you tell the males from the females? Thanks!
Old ,

I would think that you would start seeing adult characteristics when they get at least two months old or at 3/4 the adult size.
Old ,

Well it's been about 2 months now and I definitely have one boy and three girls. This is a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one I don't want to be inundated with inbred fry so I will probably find a new home for the boy. All of them are visible in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1141.JPG
Views:	932
Size:	742.1 KB
ID:	2113  
Old ,

They grew up very well in 2 months. Great job taking care of them! The male could possibly go with the other male in the other tank. However you'd need some cover and places where both males could hide. If someone concurs please tell me, i'm not so sure that i'm right.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn