Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default I'm baaack

Hi folks

Been a long time. Due to health issues in the family I haven't been around.

My 12 gallon tank is humming along fine. My 5 gallon OTOH...not so good.

We lost the betta. He just faded a way in a couple days one week; he got weaker and weaker and eventually couldn't swim to the top. At the time we had one oto in with him. A couple weeks ago the Oto got very thin....then suddenly plumped right up again. Then, he got thin again and died.

When we set up the 12 gallon, we lost one Rasbora. Recently we lost one Ramshorn. Other than that, everything we put in it has thrived.

The 5? Everything's croaked, and not really that long either. The most that's been in there is one Dwarf Puffer and a couple Otos, or one Betta and a couple Otos. I change 1 gallon a week, siphoning the substrate. I test the water regularly and don't overfeed.

I've drained the tank, cleaned the decorations and resumed. I left the bio wheel and filter in, and I see a couple small pond snails are still hanging around.

I'm going to try another betta, and some ghost shrimp, and see how that goes. I suspect I should add the shrimp first, then the betta afterward.

Hopefully I have better luck....

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Default Re: I'm baaack

A real quick solution for the pond snails is a goldfish. I know it's a little annoying but they eat all of the pond snails for good if you keep them in there long enough which could be about 2 weeks. But don't use that advice because you probably wouldn't want to take care of a goldfish anyways. Good luck and welcome back.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Heh, no room for a gold fish. Neither tank has an 'outbreak' of snails; one way I can tell I don't overfeed

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Hi fishead. Sorry to hear the bad news . It's very common to lose fish to unknown reasons.

I wish you luck with what you do next w/ the 5g.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Almost wonder if the thing is cursed. We'll restock from another store. The puffers and otos all came from one place. The betta came from a chain store; and actually he did really well for, oh, six months or so before just losing strength. I dunno, maybe he was old or it was a result of the usual less-than-ideal treatment they go through during transit and such.

Drives me nuts though. I know puffers are susceptible to parasites and Otos can be tough to acclimate....it's frustrating when you're doing things right and they still don't make it.

Vacillating between ghost shrimp and an apple snail. I think the snails are longer lived though; which at this point tips the scales in their favor.

The ramshorns in the 12 gallon we've had well over a year; though that tank is kept at 74 degrees instead of the 80 the betta tank is at.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta