Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Angelfish and Discus

Angelfish and Discus General questions and comments about angelfish and discus.

Old ,

Default angel pairs? and other questions..

i have some really stupid questions.. when angel fish pair up.. what do they do?? so they just swim side by side, and always together?
i bought a "paired" pair a while back and they acted like they hated each other.. i have altogether 6 in a 55 gallon,and was just wondering what paired behavior is so i can be looking for it.

also.. they are all gonna be moved to my octagon 90 gallon when i get it up and running...if they pair in my 55 gallon, and i move them, will they unpair up?

i read they mate for life?? one of the 6 is half of the "pair" i bought a few month ago.. he killed his mate last weekend,and i was wondering if there is another chance he may pair up again.. i bought a beautiful veiled one that looks like snakeskin, and im hopeing its female and they pair..

also, what size are they when they start pairing and spawning...

what temps is it best to keep the tank for them.. do they rather it on the warm side?

think thats it...

thanks
Old ,

Default Re: angel pairs? and other questions..

I would like to see some pics of your angels and the 90 hex.
Old ,

sure.. i dont know how to post pics, but ill put photobucket links..

you may know ... i was told that a over the side filter wouldnt work on the octagon, that only a canister filter would.. do you know if thats true...
Old ,

im gonna see is this works on adding a picture...

if this works this is the angels tank atm.
Old ,

this one is oreo

this one is the meanest outta trhe bunch. call him/her valentine

new one that looks like snakeskin in person.IMG]http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii456/beacheseverywhere/Memyfriends034.jpg[/IMG]

i call this one arabella
Old ,

this one is arabella

snakeskin one

2 that i hope are opposite sex and pair up

new one i got yesteday with oreo and the snakeskin one.

Old ,

here is my big 90 empty tank. sure cant wait to get it up and going...gonna do angels and apistogammas on the bottom... gonna try planted

Old ,

Who ever told you that you "Had to use a canister filter" due to the shape of the tank is full of poppycock. An off the back filter doesn't care what shape or size your tank is, and you can always get tubing to extend the length of the filter pickup tube if need be.

If the person was trying to say that an off the back filter may not work due to the volume of water circulated, let's say a filter only does 180 gph, then you either get a bigger filter or add a second filter. The Marineland emporer makes a smaller model that really pushes some water (I think the model 280). http://www.petco.com/product/5541/Ma...r-Systems.aspx

The trick is to match the filter volume with your tank (which I am sure you already know).

You have very nice tanks pictured
Old ,

i was looking at the over the side one yesterday at petco for the 90 gallon tank... i figured it would be big enough for that size ,and as long as i didnt over stock..i guess they were meaning with the depth of the tank, but like you said i can get a fitting to make it drop lower.. a penguin filter i have on the angel tank has a strainer on the bottom and a strainer built in the tubing midway up... that seems like it would work great..i think they were trying to make a sale from a 129.99 filter system to a 279.99 filter system.

think im gonna set it up and just get it going with a filter i ahve here and upgrade to a bigger one before i add my fish..atleast get it cycleing for a while..

thanks on the compliement...with i could get all that build up off the back..i saw a tank with net( like shrimping net) around the back..thinking of adding that and seeing it it hides the build up...
Old ,

That build up just looks like dried water spots to me. To get rid of it get some lime away or CLR and put it on a rag and wipe off the hard water spots. Then take a wet rag and rinse; finally taking a dry rag and drying it off (T-shirts work great for the final wipe). But be careful when using the lime away or CLR so you don't get any in the tank.

Do little areas at a time.

Dave