Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Not sure what to do...

So i have my 20 gallon tank just sitting downstairs now with no fish in it. I have had 2 unsuccessful attempts to try to keep different fish in there (1st-Mollies, in which they became very ill with ick 2nd-Goldfish, in which they simply died because i did not have enough room, sorry goldfish ). Now i really don't know what to put in . I was thinking along the lines of guppies. Something to ponder is that the tank is very simple- with only 2 pieces of decor and a fake plant with some floating plants at the top. I don't want to get fish that need high upkeep, are hardy, have a good immune system (i understand that's a bit hard so don't stress yourselves) but as i said before swordtails, maybe tetras, or shrimp? I also have the possibilty of putting in either a school of cories (around 4-5) or my female betta. I'm not so sure, so what i really want to know is your take on it, whatever you want in my tank! Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2125
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Default Re: Not sure what to do...

I don't want to get fish that need high upkeep, are hardy, have a good immune system (i understand that's a bit hard so don't stress yourselves)

I hate to say this but, if you are not prepaired to do regular maintenance with a good water change schedule, use the tank to keep your CDs in.
Old ,

pwat you must be prepared to look after fish if you want to have some,they are nor just there like to look at and watch from time to time,the tank size dosn,t matter, its the quality of the water,filteration,and cleaning of substrate, etc,in other words there is maintance, like it or not if you want your fish to be healthy and happy,and you are determined to do this,then by all means come back and post and I will gladly be happy to help you,
make a fresh start has your tank been fully recicled, ?check amonia levels,ph etc add a couple fish like platties or mollies to start off with,wait a few weeks before introducing a couple of others, and don,t overstock, add some more decore,plants etc, make it suitable for thier anviourment what ever fish you decide on, do a bit of research, if you do all of this I,m sure your fish will become more interesting to you,
Old ,

Okay, i understand what you guys are saying, and thanks Valley. I think with all of my high school work that it's much more difficult for me to find time for my pets. I will wait until the summer till i start taking excellent care of my 20 gallon. My tank is cycled with the filter working and i have live plants to keep most algae away. So to start off before the summer i should get plants...should i post what plants i want in the plant section, but since this is general i guess i'll just ask here.

What are some live plants that need trimming, good lighting, and care from me? That's an improvement from what i said earlier !! Thank you Dano and Valley for your inspiration!
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn