Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Fish Polls > Freshwater Fish Polls

View Poll Results: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought
Make your own decore 28 57.14%
Buy your own decore 26 53.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Talking Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

I use to have all store bought witch is nice and easy but it gets very espensive. I personally think if you come up with your own ideas and make your own decore you will like your fish tank so much more. It a pain especaily if you already have fish in it but the finished product will be awsome and if you are a fish inthusiest you will have fun doing it. All you have to do is just look up online to see what kind of object are safe for the fish such as natrual slate witch i used because it is safe and does not raise your water chemical level witch some rock do. Overall it is cheaper and there is no limit on what you can create. On my page i have some pictures of my tank recently changed check it out. I would like to hear what other people have to say about this topic.
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

I'm all for original and unconventional tank decorations! If you add rocks etc to your aquarium, make absolutely sure they are safe. Many can be toxic, dissolve in water, or play havoc on water chemistry. A safe and pretty thing to add to an aquarium is quartz crystal. It makes an eye catching centerpeice and is perfectly inert. So is lava rock, just be careful because it is sharp. Round river rocks are also great and make a totally different feel than the more jagged ones. You can pick them off the land, but test them first: add a couple drops of vinegar to the rock. If it fizzes at all, don't use it I also like to use silk flowers from craft stores and I'm redecorating my female betta's tank with those. Just be sure to cover any metal wires with aquarium sealant. Metal in the tank can be toxic to fish.

However, I do like to buy some store-bought decorations. I bought a lovely peice of resin driftwood and it really helps my tank stand out. They are coming out with some really neat and realistic peices, and the selection is definately improving over the years.
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

Yea store bought decore really came a long way thay are comming out with some pretty cool stuff thanks for writing hopfully i get enough people to write so i can get a better judgment
Old ,

Smile Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

Thanks LittleHippyGirl!!! I was wondering about "the vinegar" test. I think I read another post were you mentioned it but I wasn't sure what it was or how it worked. I want to use River rocks in my tank but all I see at the stores are Lava rocks. I really like the look of the nice smooth round stones. I have a few in there right now that I felt pretty sure were safe but they're all kinda small and I've been wanting to go collect some bigger stones. It's good to know there is a 'test' I can use to make sure the stones I find (and the ones already in the tank) are safe.

Big Thanks!!
Alexx
Old ,

Talking Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

I like to wing it and if it desn't look as I want it I redesing!!!!
Old ,

I would rather decorate the tank my-self.
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

I'd never heard of the vinegar test before. This is good to know I live along a major US waterway and we have tons and tons of river rocks so I think I might go pick out a few sometime.

How do you sterilize the rock? Boil it for about five minutes or so?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Yes, boil it and clean it with a brush. Let it dry in the sun for 2-3 days also if you got it directly from a water source. Re-boil it and done!!! Good luck

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

Why boil rocks??
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

does anyone know how i might get some "large"(maybe 5-7 inches diamiter) marble stones or rocks? I'm looking for a broken peice of raw marble. It has some peices of finished marble, yet it also has some peices of unfinished. Also, I kind of want to keep the weight down. lol i know marble is heavy so any other material that might look similar and is naturaly mined and will be sold un finished would work. Lighter that sinks the better