Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Fish Polls > Freshwater Fish Polls

View Poll Results: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought
Make your own decore 28 57.14%
Buy your own decore 26 53.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

Marble will influence the ph toward the high range. Same with coral, seashells, limestone, ect................
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

so is there any natural mined rocks that will give the tank some kinda of sparkly yet look natural that will not do anythign to change the water conditions? I dont want to just put jems in there. you know the natural mined looking stones i'm looking for?

6.6g = 1 male fancy guppy and fry.
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

It's a long time since I took geology but I believe that naturally sparkly rocks are likely to make your water acidic.

Slate is usually safe and you should be able to buy a single slate tile from a landscaper or floor tiler.

If you collect rocks from nature - place them in some water along with a control sample of water alongside it for a week or month if you can and then compare water parameters (especially pH).

Kylie
75G (283L) gold gourami, yoyo loaches, SAE, danio rerio, glowlight tetras
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

My local B and Q ( big diy chain) sells natural slate quite cheap.
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old ,

It seems very even now. 14-14
Old ,

can i get driftwood from the beach and use it??

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

You can use beach driftwood with care. Just don't use softwood with tanins. Boil it. Bolt it to something. I use the plastic grates from undergravel filters to bolt driftwood to, then put the grate under the gravel so the wood doesn't float.

I also use limestone slate in my tanks. I already have a high ph in my area (8.2) and I find that at such a ph, the limestone does not change the water chemistry at all. Best of all is that locally bought fish usually are accustomed to the ph of your area's tap water. Even discus can be raised in a high ph and live to tell about it.
Old ,

oof! All driftwood will contain some tannin. All limestone will affect ph. Most fish will live for some time in water of various ph and hardness ranges, but thrive in water that is nearest to their native habitat. Maintaining a near neutral level is the recommended compromise. Discus will wither and refuse to breed in high ph and hard water!
Old ,

Funny how some people in my aquarium society breed discus with no problem without altering the ph from the local tap water. Tank raised discus that come from a higher ph will do fine in a higher ph. And I know all driftwood has tanins, but there is quite a difference in amounts from some woods compared to others.
Old ,

What is your "aquarium society"? I would like to go there and read some of the posts...........................