Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Fish Polls > Freshwater Fish Polls

View Poll Results: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought
Make your own decore 28 57.14%
Buy your own decore 26 53.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,
ferret

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

granite would look great in a tank if done right.

This may get a little technical but it'll test your knowledge and lateral thinking. I am a long time model builder and I would love to put a large model of a battle ship or aircraft carrier into a tank. I have been informed that CA (cyno acitate - super glue) will not effect fish, so what paint can I airbrush the model with?

all paints can be sprayed with a little know how, but how does one test if it's toxic?

I guess the best question is, what paint is on the shop bought decorations?

would it be a problem if the model took up about 20% of the tank?

Last edited by ferret : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

Hi Joe sounds like hard work but fun!!

What exactly are you going to build the ship out of?

Re: the glue - I am no expert, I think that is right though & if it is "gel super glue" containing cyanoacetate, that is safe once it has dried fully on the outside. You may need to keep an eye on the glue though as it may not last very long, it starts disintergrating & may loose its effectiveness. Aquarium silicone adhesive or epoxy might be better.

Re: the paint - I have read somewhere that there is an epoxy paint that is used in marine tanks & once it is has fully cured should be safe. I am not sure where you buy it though, aquarium suppliers might know. I have heard that some people just use normal spray paint & then coat it with epoxy to make it safe - but I wouldn't like to take the risk! I think the test would be "if all the fish die, then it isn't safe". I really don't know how you would test it.

Re: model taking up 20% of the tank - I think it would really depend on how many fish & what species you are going to get, as well as what other decor. As long as there is plenty of space for the fish to swim around/over it, it should be OK - will it have places in it for the fish to hide in or swim though?
Old ,

I have voted for both
Old ,
ferret

I was considering a plastic model kit and trying to make it look like a wreck at guadalcanal or something similar. Or even a shallow tank with the USS Enterprise.

not that I'm a war buff but I love the engineering unfortunately necessety (sp) is the mother of invention and war / survival brings the best of inventiveness out. That and I have enough models with the vehicles in primo condition .
Old ,

I voted store bought.

I use store bought decor as I don't have to worry about it being safe for the fish. I wish it was not so over priced. I have bought fake coral and had to throw it away because somehow the tank ruined the color on the coral.
Old ,

I am very excited that I have a new 10 gal tank that has been cleaned up and put in ready order. I am from the yuppy generation and want to shock all my friends and family with a hippy tank (now I am very conserative). Floreusent pink, orange, or green. With very vibrent colours. I have even seen lighting in a store. But would weared lighting be a problem for the fish. Do fish see colour In my minds eye I can see the tank I just have to find the decorations. Anty help would be appreciated.
________
Mercedes-Benz W251 specifications

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Make my own decorations. more fun and challenging.
________
vapormatic vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store boug

You will have to post some pictures when you get it all set up, Sandy. Sounds like it will really be neat!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
I am very excited that I have a new 10 gal tank that has been cleaned up and put in ready order. I am from the yuppy generation and want to shock all my friends and family with a hippy tank (now I am very conserative). Floreusent pink, orange, or green. With very vibrent colours. I have even seen lighting in a store. But would weared lighting be a problem for the fish. Do fish see colour In my minds eye I can see the tank I just have to find the decorations. Anty help would be appreciated.

They can see colour Sandy (may not be exactly the same as we see it), that is one way they identify their own species and fish change colour to let the other fish know what mood they are in e.g. ready to spawn, angry etc.

I'm not sure if weird lighting will effect them (depends how weird it is ) but most fish don't like bright light. Lighting does affect the colour of a fish, in that a certain colour light may accentuate or lessen a particular colour in the fish. Depending on the colour of light you choose, if you have live plants it may not help them grow.

Sounds like it will be a very interesting tank Sandy!
Old ,

Hi Ferret, for the glue it's simple, MEK ( Methyl ethyl ketone ) all true very hazardous for you health, once evaporate will not live residue toxic for the fish. Any plastic glue not in gel will do also the same.

for the paint, you have 2 problems ; the solvent of the paint and the pigment , for the solvent, if you use acrylic paint it’s relatively safe, as for the pigment you have to look a the chemical composition of the paint, and that’s can be hard to find, usually earth tone are made of earth pigment , usually safe, avoid the red, orange and blue, they are the more toxic. The white if made with titanium oxide, it's safe too. You will not find anymore lead in paint not made in China…. But still check some white are made with zinc oxide or dioxide ( I have to check this one)

For a ship you can use a grey, and use sienna ( very safe) for rust.

Hope it help a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
granite would look great in a tank if done right.

This may get a little technical but it'll test your knowledge and lateral thinking. I am a long time model builder and I would love to put a large model of a battle ship or aircraft carrier into a tank. I have been informed that CA (cyno acitate - super glue) will not effect fish, so what paint can I airbrush the model with?

all paints can be sprayed with a little know how, but how does one test if it's toxic?

I guess the best question is, what paint is on the shop bought decorations?

would it be a problem if the model took up about 20% of the tank?